Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Linda McCauley

The tradition of Genimates' equator hopping continues as we move back to the northern hemisphere with this latest profile from Kentucky, USA.

I can't remember when I started following Linda's blog "Documenting the details" or following her on Twitter but I know that I have been very impressed with her recent reports on the NGS2011 Conference in her blog. 

Genimates' readers will appreciate reading your profile, thanks Linda.



Date  21 May 2011

Name Linda McCauley
Hometown  Mt. Vernon, Kentucky, USA

Are you a Hobbyist or Professional Genealogist? Hobbyist

What is your day job? I'm retired

How long have you been chasing ancestors? 10 years

How did you get hooked on genealogy?  In 2001, I picked up a couple of things that my grandmother had written - a fill-in-the-blanks family tree book and a handwritten life story. I looked at them right after she died in 1978 but hadn't thought much about them for years.

For whatever reason, I took a second look in 2001 and decided I should look for some software to use in sorting out what she had written about her family and my grandfather's family. I was hooked by the time I got her information entered.

What, if any, formal or informal studies have you undertaken that are relevant to genealogical research? 
All of my studies have been informal - workshops, genealogy conferences and webinars. I recently enrolled in the National Genealogical Society's American Genealogy Home Study Course.

What are your areas of Expertise in Genealogy?  I don't really have an area of expertise but much of my research has been in Kentucky so I'm probably most familiar with Kentucky records.
 
Please outline your involvement in Genealogy Societies and Groups. I'm a member of the Kentucky Genealogical Society, Kentucky Historical Society, National Genealogical Society and a few small local societies.

What are the lands of your ancestors? 
I have yet to identify an immigrant who arrived in America after the Revolutionary War (1775-1783) so I haven't proven the homeland for very many of my lines. The ones I know are England, Ireland and France (by way of England).

What Family Names are you Researching?
Lanier, Bennett, Jackson, Gamble, Hankins, Petty, Goodloe, Thomas, Hopkins, Howard, Morris, Taylor, Ramsey and Owens

Who is your favourite ancestor? Why?
The answer to that question might vary from time to time depending on which family I've been working on lately.

Today I'd say my favorite ancestor was my great-grandmother, Nancy Jane Bennett. She had to be a very strong and determined woman to have endured all of the hardships that came her way. In addition to living much of her life in extreme poverty, she lost at least two (maybe four) children in infancy, four other children died as young adults and another one disappeared and was never seen by her again.

What ancestral city or town would you like to visit? Why?
Rouen, France. Rouen is the earliest ancestral location I've identified. My Lanier ancestors lived there in the 1500s.

What is your favourite resource for genealogy?
The resources I use the most would have to be Ancestry.com and FamilySearch but my favorite is still any courthouse with old records. There is just something special about touching the actual records your ancestors created.

Do you keep your genealogy files on paper?
No
Do you keep your genealogy files on a computer? 
Yes

What genealogy software do you use to record your family tree? 
Legacy Family Tree

Do you have your tree posted on the internet? 
Yes
If Yes What is the URL? 
www.lfmccauley.com

What Social Networking Sites do you use for genealogy? 
Ancestry, Facebook, Twitter

Do you have a blog?
Yes
What are your blogs' URLs? 
http://lfmccauley.blogspot.com

What are your Other Hobbies, Activities, Interests?
Photography, Travel and (watching) University of Kentucky Basketball & Football

What is your favourite lesiure time activity apart from genealogy?
Reading

What is your favourite (non genealogy) book? 
My favorite book is often the one I just finished. My favorite genre is mysteries.

What is your personal philosophy in a few  words ? 
Life is too short not to do the things you enjoy most.

If you have anything else to share please add it below. 
I answered "no" to the question about having my genealogy on paper but the answer is really somewhere between yes and no.

Of course, I have records and some information on paper but I'm not anywhere close to having everything that is in my Legacy database on paper. I am in the process of printing it all out since paper is still the best way to ensure that someone years from now will have access to my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment